Monday 1 June 2009

:: Chapter V - The detective ::

Chapter V
The detective

I was waiting for the detective at the same room I talked to Doctor Rianne. It was a relatively big room for just a talk; I guess bigger than the room I was sharing with Mr. Arnold. The table and two chairs were put in the middle of the room. With mathematical precision, I would say. I still didn't know his name; didn't have a chance to ask about. I didn't know for sure how he would be able to help me; how I would be able to explain about Mr. Arnold and the whole thing; from a simple "hello" to a match of chess; without look insane. Once more, I had just one shot. After everything that have happened, I couldn't simple rely on what he would say. Then he came.

- Morning, Sir. Putting aside your problems, how things are going here?
- Good morning, Sir...?
- Oh, sorry. It's Jeroen van der Wijk. A bit complicated for you, I think. But you can use only Jeroen, and that's my first name.
- Now it's fine. So good morning Mr. Jeroen. You can call me Natan.
- I think it's not a good idea to adopt an alter ego, Sir. We have to find your own. Is that right?
- No problem. So, from where are we going to start?

At this moment, he started looking into his briefcase. He took a notebook, few pens, a voice recorder and what seemed to be some medicine. Perhaps now I'm going to remember something, I thought.

- I already know some stuff; last night, I had a long talk with Rianne about you. For now, I need you to tell me anything that has possible happened after you talked to her.

For one moment, I thought about the way he mentioned Doctor Rianne. They were colleagues, but referring to her to a patient in such close way it's a bit strange. If they are married, or living in a relationship, she should have told me; at least I think she could. Anyway, it doesn't matter now. The only thing I need is get better quickly.

Then I told him everything about what happened. The conversation with Mr. Arnold, the news about his condition and even about the chess match we had up to 3 AM. For my surprise, he already knew about that.

- What if I tell you that Mr. Arnold is not able to talk right now? He is in an inducted coma.
- That's not true. He talked to me. He remembers the name I'm using. Wait, are you recording that?
- Yes Sir, I am. Please, the first step for you is to try to help yourself. You have to focus.
- Goddamned! That's the truth. He talked to me twice already!
- Sir, let's follow my plans: I will give you a shot of amibarbital. I need you to try to relax and I will do some basic questions. After that I hope you can answer everything I need to know. I will record all of our conversation, so you can listen for yourself later on. Is that fine for you?
- Yes, it's fine. But could you ask someone to bring some water? I'm really thirsty.

Since there was no phone in this room, Jeroen went out to look for some one. I knew that I was about to do something really crazy, but that was the only chance I had. I got up and took one of the chairs with me; quickly, but silently. I was waiting for him, hiding like a child. He wouldn't be able to see me before his fourth step into the room. Suddenly I heard he was coming. Now it's just a matter to wait for the right moment. Then, when I saw his head, I cast the chair against him; he just fell. However, there was no blood; and it was a sort of relief for me.

Now it was just a matter of time till someone would come. I knew that because he wasn't carrying any water. So I had to put my insane plan in practice, and quickly. I got his voice recorder and the amibarbital; I sat and tried to relax before the first move. Then I took a syringe and withdrew from the recipient all liquid that it could support. With one shot I inject everything on my vein, from my left arm; thus I fell.

I woke up in a green field. Perhaps the largest field I have ever seen. It was so flat that I could see a person kilometres away from me; but I couldn't see anyone now. The weather was so nice, warm, that I just realised that I was naked 5 minutes after I woke up. The sky was really blue and clear. I doubt anyone in the Earth have ever seen something like this before. However, there was no Sun. I wouldn't be able to explain if someone has asked, but there was no Sun for sure. I didn't know from where this light was coming from, but I guess it should be a good source. Everything was clear, linearly clear. Like thousands, or millions, of spotlights hanging in the sky. I felt strong and perfectly health. I ran for a couple of minutes; it seemed I haven't run at all; or I just ran really fast that I reached the same place I was before. I had to keep running.

After some time running in the middle of nowhere, I saw what seemed to be a mirror, like a big wall of glass. As I was getting closer, I could see some other figures, like people. Then I realised that those people were me, just a reflex; but how could they be? Closer I got and there were thousands of them, of me. They were so quite, like there weren’t moving at all. When I could contemplate their faces I saw nothing, but just feeless, nameless faces, no expression, no life. They weren't following my movements; they were just standing in front of me. Then I asked to myself:

- Who am I?

And they answered:

- We are you. You have to go back. And we shall not allow you to pass.

I woke up with a strong headache. It seemed I have just had a brain surgery and the doctor has used a power drill. I was a bit dizzy, but I could see that there was someone sitting before me. I tried to get up, but my forearms were tied. Then I realised that someone was adjusting the bed, since I couldn’t get up. That was Angela; she looked angry. So she said:

- You should be grateful for those that are trying to help you, instead of cast chairs against their heads.
- What happened?
- Well, that’s the 4th time you wake up and do the same question. Are you going to sleep again like the other times?
- Maybe now I’m really awake. What happened to me? Why am I tied against this bed? Where is Mr. Arnold?
- I guess you are really awake: too many questions. Doesn’t matter if I’m mad at you, I would have to answer those anyway. What happened: you cast a chair against Mr. Jeroen’s head. He fell and has been unconscious for something about 30 minutes. You are tied: well, you just took a shot of amibarbital that would make an elephant speak. That’s a good answer. Concerning Mr. Arnold, we moved him to another room. You are a bit instable, let’s say.

This time she was cold, tired, no expression on her face, no smile. I really did a big mess. Slowly I started remembering when I hit Jeroen’s head with the chair; what a crazy thing to do when you have amnesia and no documents. And what about that dream I had? I needed help, so I couldn’t talk about that now; chiefly because I didn’t have anyone else to rely on.

- I know that there are no apologies for what I have done to Mr. Jeroen; and probably my regret is not enough. I just need help, and I was desperately looking for someone to answer my questions.

She looked at me for what seemed to be few minutes. She didn't say anything, just kept looking, like someone trying to understand what is within you. I didn't know if she would be able to find something. I couldn't be able to do that myself; not now.

- Mr. Jeroen will come to see you. He came to the hospital every day since you did that. And it's also good to keep him up to date concerning your condition.
- Please, wait. What did you mean by "came ... Everyday..."? What date is it?
- It's Friday, 31st July, Sir. I will bring some food and water. If you need something in the meantime, you know what to do: push the red button.

So, I have been sleeping for almost 15 days; it’s a quite long period. It’s strange because it seemed I slept only for few minutes, only one dream: running in the field and facing myself in the mirror; facing thousands of me. Better wait for the detective and see if he got something interesting for me. Perhaps I could sleep a bit; return to that dream and try to get the answers for my questions.

I started sleeping again in what seemed to be few seconds after Angela left. For my surprise I went back to that dream: I was facing the same mirror; but there was none there. The light was fading away, like someone was switching off the sky. Suddenly, everything was dark, no spotlight at all. I couldn’t see anything; couldn’t be able to hear anything, except my own voice. There could be at least a moon, and so I would be able to see its pale face; but not even the moon was there. I should wake up; I could not afford that dream anymore. I was sleeping for centuries already...

- Hello Cinderella. I don’t have to kiss you, right?

The field was still dark, I couldn’t see anyone. But I knew someone just called me; or tried to make a joke. I remembered the guys from the ambulance, one of them told the same thing. It’s a bad joke.

- Who’s there?
- Wake up, man. You are still sleeping.

That was rude. Only one person could be mad at me at this moment: Mr. Jeroen. I just cast a chair against his head, so he has lots of reasons to be mad at me.

- Hi Mr. Jeroen. May I start saying sorry? I know it’s not enough, but...
- Don’t worry. I’ve been through worse. Next time you will be tied against the table, as you are now.

At least he was smiling on the right corner of his mouth.

- It won’t be a problem, Mr. Jeroen. So, tell me, what you have found? I hope you have had some time to find the owners of those documents.
- Indeed, Sir. However, I don’t have good news for you: both documents were false. I did my researches, trying to understand why someone would put that stuff in your wallet. I have my some theories, a bit strange I confess; but the whole thing is insane. So, here it goes: the passport is supposed to be from someone born in 1950; one lady. The only thing I found about a lady and a passport on 3rd August 1950 was a film: A Lady without Passport. Does it ring any bell?
- No, unfortunately not.
- Maybe the person who did that was a big fan of cinema. There was no delivery of a baby named Stanley Holloway 30th January 1982. However, and that’s relay crazy, the British actor Stanley Holloway died on this date. He was born on 1st October 1890.
- I have no idea at all. It seems really insane for me as well. Even on my condition, I wouldn’t be able to think about something like that.
- The third thing: the tape...
- Which tape?
- In your attempt to get an overdose of amibarbital you switched on the voice recorder. Of course it was intentional. Thus, I have the tape. However, before I can go forward, just one question: do you remember anything after the shot?
- I just remember a dream; and that’s the only thing I have in my mind.

Then I told him about the dream, all the elements it contained. Also, I told him about when I went to sleep, after Angela left, the other dream I had.

- Ok, that’s right. We can try to raise some hypotheses about your dream later on. For now, listen to it, please:

He started what I have recorded. The tape played:

- 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 101, 131, 151, 181, 191, 313, 353, 373, 383, 727, 757, 787, 797, 919, 929, 10301, 10501, 10601, 11311, …

He stopped after some time. Didn’t make sense to keep the sequence, I went really far.

- Do you know those numbers, Sir?
- Yes. They are palindromic prime numbers.

:: Chapter VI ::

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello,

You are free to comment it out. :)

The only thing I ask is respect. If you want to add an anonymous comment just remember that I will moderate it before publishing.

Thanks in advance for any possible feedback you can give me.

With kind regards,
Wilder C. Rodrigues